I’m your typical first year uni student: 18, somewhere new, newfound freedom and honestly, just trying to get to grips with it all. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love uni and was definitely ready for a change from school.
So, here’s a little bit about me:
- I’m in my first year reading Classics at Royal Holloway, University of London
- Before starting here, I was at my small school in the middle of nowhere for two thirds of my life, so as you can imagine, the change took some getting used to!
- I was lucky enough to be able to board at my school, so the concept of not being at home didn’t throw me at all, it’s kind of second nature, but I know a lot of my friends here found it difficult to adjust
- I’m used to living in the middle of nowhere, down a windy country lane, with a canal being the only thing within walking distance, I’m not a city girl!
- Being a naturally very introverted person, I was so worried about making friends before coming to uni – I didn’t need to be!
In starting this blog, my hope is to help people in a similar position to me, or just make sure people have a bit more of an idea about starting uni than I did when I came in September (this makes it sound extremely negative, I promise you it’s not!) A few of the topics I’m planning on covering are:
- UCAS and how to chose where you want to go
- Starting tips
- How to maintain friendships and relationships from home
- Hotspots for a London night out
and many many more…
Please feel free to send me in questions or comments, I’d love to hear from people and find out what kind of things you actually want to know about, from a completely honest and non-biased point of view, rather than from a Student Ambassador on an open day or from a prospectus!
I’ll be posting every Monday